Wednesday 12 February 2014

small steps
highlighting one elder at a time;
A friend recently shared this saying with me: 'as we inch closer to our death we begin to take smaller steps' 
While contemplating this I chose not to think of these steps as a kind of attempted delay but instead felt that as the years stack upon themselves the feet that have moved through them now know relativity, understand time and have mastered the art of savouring. 
At the moment I am in Turkey where most of the older generations hold the traditions intact and as the weeks go by and I make my rounds traveling this region I will devote my respect to these gems who have endured the joys of life through producing, selling, creating and well, just living... 

small steps 1: basket man

This man claimed to have a need for creating these wonderful baskets, said it gave him a mind of peace which would otherwise be anxious and rambling. He was proud of the fifty years spent with his wife and also lit up when his son appeared. He was my momentary idol with his patchwork pants and authentic patena... simply weaving the moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment